Friday, January 18, 2013

Just a Singin' -- January 18, 2013

Quick question:  What's your favorite song?

Your second favorite song?

What radio or satellite station is your favorite?

What do you listen to when you are in a great mood?

What do you listen to when you are in the dumps?

What is it about music that can stir us so deeply?

If you looked at my phone, you'd see a lot of 80's pop music on there.  I make no excuses about thoroughly enjoying songs from that decade.  And I'll tell you why.

Do you remember Casey Kasem's American Top 40?  You know, the one where he signed off every broadcast with his famous line: "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars"?

Well, when I was a teenager, I loved listening to that countdown.  It came on every Sunday night and played the most popular songs for that week.

Our family would go to church Sunday night, then go out to eat with friends.  The other teenagers and I would eat quickly so we could borrow the keys to go sit in the car and listen to all the great songs.  So, music from that decade brings back great memories.

If you scrolled through my phone's song list (you sure are being nosy), one genre of songs that might make you go "Hmm" are all the hymns I have on there.  I asked earlier what your favorite song is.  Even my girls know mine is "Amazing Grace".  I think it's the greatest song ever written.  As a matter of fact, I have 34 different versions of it from artists like Elvis Presley, The Statler Brothers, Avalon, and Louie Armstrong.

That hymn and others like it give me comfort.  Though the arrangements might be different, the message stays the same.  And in this crazy world we live in, consistency warms my heart.

This week we are going to look at the songs of the Old Testament.  They are put together in a book that's in the middle of your Bible when you open it up.  It's called the Book of Psalms.

Our lesson this Sunday (9:50 am by the way) is called "Psalms: Songs for New Creation Hearts".  We'll look at the different moods created by the different Psalms.  The scripture passages are Psalms 1, Psalms 51:1-5, Psalms 100, and Psalms 110.

We'll run the gamut from Delight to Confession to Celebration to Hope.  So come join the party Sunday morning.

Finish Friday strong.  Enjoy Saturday with your family.  See you Sunday!

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne

“One person with a belief is equal to a force of ninety-nine with only interests.”  John Stuart Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment