Monday, January 14, 2013

Go and Make Disciples -- January 14, 2013

Normally, I would give you a recap of our Sunday School lesson.  But I'm going to change it up a little this time through. 

I hope you were able to hear Scott Guffin's sermon yesterday.  I had planned to give you a link to it, but it's not up on the church's website yet.  I will send it to you when it's available.

The focus of Scott's sermon was on discipleship.  His scripture focus was Matthew 28:19-20 which says:  "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  You've heard that before; it's the Great Commission.

These were Jesus' final words in the book of Matthew.  They are strong words indeed.

Something came to me while I've pondered Scott's sermon.  It's what Jesus could have said but didn't.

Jesus could have said, "Go and do good works for other people."
He could have said, "Go home and study everything I've taught you."
He could have said, "Tell your family and close friends about me, then call it a day."

But He didn't do that.  His command was to "go and make disciples".

You'll be hearing more about discipleship in 2013 so get ready for it.  Scott's message yesterday was the tip of the spear.

He had three points:

1.  We must decide to become a disciple-making church.
2.  We must determine to have a harvest mentality.
3.  We must commit to the disciple-making process.

It was a powerful message. 

Of all his supporting scripture, one stood out for me.  It was 1 Peter 4:10 which says:  "
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."

Ask God to give you opportunities to make disciples.  He won't disappoint.

Make it a great week!

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne

“Life is like a ten-speed bicycle….Most of us have gears that we never use.”  Charlie Brown in Peanuts

No comments:

Post a Comment