Friday, July 27, 2012

"Tech Support"--A Four-Letter Word -- July 27, 2012

We have an HP LaserJet 3100 printer that was built in 1998.  It was a top-of-the-line all-in-one printer, scanner, and fax machine in its day.  Now, it's a 14-year-old piece of electronic equipment.  In technology years, it's a great-great-grandfather in a teenager world.

Here's the problem, though.  It doesn't know it shouldn't be working.  That thing is still clicking along, turning out crisp printouts.

Until Monday.

Monday was the day I started updating my Gumdrop Books' kit.  Every book sample has a printed insert in the inside front cover that tells the other titles available for my librarians.  I have to keep them current so that availability and pricing are correct.

That LaserJet 3100 is my go-to printer for making those inserts.  Its only hiccup is that I have to install the software to use it, then uninstall the software when I'm finished.  The reason is probably because the software was written for the DOS 3.0 operating system.  Even though I'm running Windows XP, the software is old and unstable.

So Monday I drag my LaserJet 3100 out of its storage place to use for printing inserts.  I put it on the desk, hook up the cables, and put the installation CD in my computer.

The installation process begins and then...nothing.

So I try it again.  Nothing.  Again.  Nothing.  I turn the computer off and back on.  Try again.  Nothing.  I read the instruction manual.  Follow its steps.  Try again.  Nothing.

Try 17 more times.  Nothing.

So I call Hewlett-Packard's tech support line.  I know the printer's not under warranty anymore (that was over 11 years ago), but I at least wanted a replacement installation disk in case that was the problem.

I talk to a main Tech Support person, I'm transferred to a Business Tech Support Person, I'm transferred to a Sales Department Person, I'm transferred to a Printer Tech Support person, then I'm transferred to the supervisor of the Printer Tech Support person. 

After 52 minutes and 49 seconds with my call bouncing around the U.S. and India, I get an answer.  "Your printer is too old to be supported anymore.  You should get a new printer."  To say I was miffed was an understatement.

I told them we had purchased two--repeat two--HP printers since this LaserJet 3100.  But I wanted to keep using this printer because (1) it's functioning and (2) I still have a replacement cartridge for it.  I just need the printer to be able to talk to my computer.  "Sorry" was the reply.

I put away the trusty old LaserJet 3100 in its storage space; not ready to part with my friend of over a decade.  I switch to our new, gee-whiz color laser printer and get to work.  For three hours I print inserts for my books.

I step away for a while to get something to eat.  When I come back to start again, what's on the computer screen?  It's the LaserJet 3100 installation guide wanting to finish.  I follow the instructions and the software loads the printer driver on my computer.

I haul the LaserJet 3100 out of storage again, hook up the cables, and start printing out beautiful inserts--HP tech support be danged.

What does this have to do with our lesson on Sunday?  Not a thing.  I just needed to get this off my chest.  Thanks for listening.

Andrew will be teaching our lesson on being "Confident" this week at 9:50 a.m.  Our scripture passages come from Ephesians 1:13-1, Romans 8:14-17, and 2 Corinthians 5:1-5.  This is our final week looking at how the Holy Spirit helps us as we go though life.  We'll be seeing that we can be confident in our Redemption, confident in our Relationship, and confident in our Reward.

Make sure you're there at 9:50 a.m. Sunday morning.  And as an added bonus, we'll celebrate the Lord's Supper in "big church" after Sunday School.

Finish Friday strong.  Enjoy Saturday with your family.  See you Sunday!

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne


"A hug is like a boomerang - you get it back right away." - Bil Keane

No comments:

Post a Comment