Friday, June 22, 2012

Celebrating Our Nation's Birthday Early - June 22, 2012

July 4th is one of my favorite holidays.  It's fun to break out the red, white, and blue and celebrate the founding of this great nation.  You see, I love the fact that the United States of America is the "mutt" of the world.  Unless you are 100% Native American, you're not originally from here.  Sometime in the past, your family moved to this country.  They came willingly or unwillingly, but you're still here.

July 4th always reminds me of a cab ride in St. Louis, Missouri about 12 years ago.  It was a 25 minute ride from the airport to my hotel, so I struck up a conversation with my cabbie.  From his accent, I knew he wasn't born in the U.S.  So I asked about his story.  He was from Kenya and had moved to America three years before.  He gushed about how great this country is and his plans for the future.  I saw a wedding band on his finger.  I asked how his family enjoyed all this country had to offer.

He paused just a second.  Then he told me his family was still in Kenya.  He immigrated here to make money for them and one day bring them here.

I was floored.  It took me a moment to get back into the conversation.  We finished the ride and I arrived safely at my hotel.

I think back to that conversation because here was a guy who moved halfway around the world to provide a better life for his family.  He goes back once a year for ten days to see his wife and kids.  He's willing to sacrifice now so his family can experience the American Dream.

The things we take for granted are to him sparkling diamonds that are there for the taking.  That's why I enjoy July 4th with such gusto.  I know I live in the greatest country on earth and I refuse to keep quiet about it.

This Sunday is gonna be great!  It's our Patriotic Service.  We'll be playing and singing patriotic music in the worship service. 

Before the fun begins, though, you have to listen to me in Sunday School at 9:50 a.m.  I understand that's like having to eat your brussel sprouts before you get Aunt Hazel's chocolate cake. 

We'll do things a little different this week.  Because we are having a church-wide luncheon after the worship service (another reason to show up), all the adult classes that normally meet in the fellowship hall will instead meet in the sanctuary.  The upside is that you can stake out your spot for the worship service.

In our time together at 9:50, we'll finish our study of Malachi.  We'll study Malachi 3:13-4:6.  These were the last words God gave to His chosen people for 400 years until the birth of Jesus.

In a way, that 400 years of silence was like halftime at a football game.  What came before was important, but what came after was spectacular!

Let's mine our scripture for nuggets we can use.  Just make sure your bottom is in the pew by 9:50.

Finish Friday strong.  Enjoy Saturday with your family.  See you Sunday!

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne

"When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"  from the preamble to the Declaration of Independence

No comments:

Post a Comment