Friday, May 18, 2012

A Creepy Story of Faith -- May 18, 2012

Is there a story in the Bible that creeps you out?  Even though that story is there to teach you something, it is unsettling to think about?

Our story this week is that one for me.  It's the story of Abraham and Isaac and the sacrifice God asks Abraham to make.

The scripture passage is Genesis 22:1-14 and Genesis 26:2-5.

Child sacrifice isn't something that is discussed in polite company.  That is the gist of the first passage.  But it's really a test of faith for Abraham.  Fortunately, Abraham passes the test.

This story was always unsettling for me growing up because I was the first-born son in my family.  I identified strongly with Isaac.  Now that I'm a dad, I identify more with Abraham.  And the thought of being asked to sacrifice one of my kids boggles my mind.

We'll dive deeper into our story on Sunday (9:50 a.m.).  We'll see what God had in mind in testing Abraham this way.

Finish Friday strong.  Enjoy Saturday with you family.  See you Sunday!

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne


“No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.”  Barbara De Angelis

No comments:

Post a Comment