Monday, March 26, 2012

Rut row, Runday Rool! -- March 9, 2012

Are you in a rut?

Think about the question for 17 seconds.  Go ahead.  I'll be here when you get back.  Again, the question is...

Are you in a rut?

In case you are so accustomed to deciphering text shorthand, I'll ask it this way...

r u n a rut?

Time's up.  Well, yes or no? 

Is being in a rut a good thing or a bad thing?  Yes, it is.

My wife would tell you that I live in ruts.  My nickname should be "Mister Rut-meister".  I'm the captain of the S.S. Rutweiler.

It's not that I don't like change; I just think that change is highly overrated.

When I asked my opening question, did you have a positive or negative view of the word "rut"?  If you are like most people, "rut" means something negative.  But ruts can be positive.  Brushing your teeth twice a day is a good rut; it makes your dentist and your friends very happy. 

Praying daily is a good rut to be in. 

Or is it?

Is your prayer life in a rut?  Do your "conversations" with God resemble more of a monologue than a dialogue?  Are your prayers so similar that God might think you've just tape recorded one prayer that you play over and over and over?

Our Bible passage for this week's lesson is Psalm 86.  It was written by David, and we will look at how we can pattern our prayers like his.  He must have been doing something right with his prayers.  The Bible is full of them.

I'll never forget an acrostic I learned about how to pray when I was in my teens.  When we meet this Sunday (9:50 a.m.), I'll give it to you.  You'll be surprised how simple yet effective it is.

And if you want a really, really good template for praying, click here.  Tough to beat.  I had to go old school on you.

Finisheth Friday strongeth.  Enjoyeth Saturday with thine family.  See-eth thee Sunday.

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne

”Fewer things are sadder than looking back on your life and saying, ‘I wish I had.’” -- The Courage Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment