Monday, March 26, 2012

A Problem with this week's lesson -- March 2, 2012

Do you know what "dissonance" means?  It means disagreement or incongruity.

I'm preparing the Sunday School lesson this week, but I'm feeling a bunch of dissonance about it.  You see, the Lifeway point of the lesson is "Worship is an expression of our desire to be in God's presence".

Their point is totally valid.  I agree whole-heartedly with the statement.  But I see a disconnect between their statement and our Bible passage.

When I read Psalms 42 & 43, I see someone hurting.  I see someone needing.  I see someone reaching.

If I had my way, we'd erect a billboard beside our church building that says in bold print:  "Liberty Park Baptist Church: THE PERFECT CHURCH FOR UNPERFECT PEOPLE".

Now before any English majors object to the word "unperfect" because it's not correct grammar, I know it's misspelled.  God is not calling people who think their lives are fine; He wants the ones who are hurting. 

Have you ever thought how similar churches are to health clubs?  When people think about joining a health club, they feel they should get in shape before joining.  When people think about coming to church, they feel they should get their life "straightened out" before attending.

I know I'm guilty of trying to carry the weight of my world on my shoulders.  When life burdens me more and more, I finally drop to my knees in exhaustion.  On my knees in prayer is where I should have been all along. 

We have just over 48 hours from when we'll meet Sunday (9:50 a.m.).  Please pray for me.  Pray that I will bring the lesson in the way God wants it presented.  My prayer for you is that you have your hearts open to receive what God says.

Finish Friday strong.  Enjoy your family on Saturday.  See you Sunday!

Loyally yours,

Darren Bayne

"Asking is the beginning of receiving. Make sure you don't go to the ocean with a teaspoon. At least take a bucket so the kids won't laugh at you."  Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment